How to Clean Cellular Shades
For energy-efficient window treatments that provide superior light reflection and insulation, cellular shades are your best choice. Sometimes known as honeycomb shades, cellular shades are accordion-style shades with individual cells or gaps that block out sunlight and can reduce your energy bills. They are made from a soft paper- or cloth-like material, like spun lace or bonded polyester, or other material.
Cleaning your cellular shades is easy to do yourself and does not require special cleaning products or equipment. All you will need is compressed air, a vacuum cleaner, a clean cloth, and a mild detergent like dish soap.
5 Methods for Cleaning Your Cellular Shades
To help extend the life of your cellular shades and keep them looking new, follow these simple do-it-yourself cleaning tips for maintaining your cellular shades.
- Dusting – Weekly dusting of your cellular shades will keep dust from accumulating on the outside and potentially leading to darkening stains. Don’t forget to clean out the individual honeycombs as dust and bugs can collect inside.
- Place a drop cloth or paper towels on the opposite end of your shades to collect any debris that comes out.
- Take a can of compressed air and clean out each cell, working top to bottom. If you don’t have compressed air, a blow dryer can work. Make sure you use the lowest heat setting to avoid damaging or warping the honeycombs.
- You can also clean the outside of your shades with compressed air.
- Wiping – Using a microfiber cloth, lint roller, or feather duster on the outside of your cellular shades can remove dust without damaging the material. A microfiber cloth is your best choice for a light cleaning.
- Working from top to bottom, gently wipe the exterior of the shades from left to right. Make sure to follow the direction of the pleating so you do not deform the cells.
- Vacuuming – If you have a dust attachment for your vacuum, you can use it to clean your window shades effectively when you have your vacuum set at its lowest setting. If you cannot adjust the speed of your vacuum, do not use it.
- Start with the lowest setting and test a small section, increasing the speed until you get the right amount of suction.
- Starting from the top, swipe side to side, lightly pressing the brush against the cellular shades.
- Spot removal – If the previous methods have not removed all of the stains, you can use a mild detergent and warm water to remove any remaining stains.
- Fill a bucket with lukewarm water. Hot water can weaken the glue holding the cells together, so be sure not to use hot water. Add a mild detergent like dish soap and mix well.
- Dip a sponge or clean cloth in the water and dab it lightly on the stain. Too much pressure can damage the cells.
- Test a small section first to make sure your cleaning solution does not further stain the shade.
- Deep cleaning – For fabric shades, soaking them in a clean bathtub is an excellent way to thoroughly clean your shades. Check the material of your shades before trying this method, as it can permanently change the shape of some cellular shades.
- Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water and a few drops of mild detergent.
- Fully submerge the shades in the water and gently swish them back and forth several times. Remove the shades from the tub.
- Refill the tub with only lukewarm water and submerge the shades again, swishing back and forth to rinse. Do this as many times as necessary to clean your shades thoroughly.
- To dry, hang your shades and leave them open.
Cleaning the Mountings
Don’t forget to clean the hardware or mountings for your cellular shade using a sponge or rag and mild detergent.
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and some mild detergent. Dip the sponge or rag in the water and wipe the mountings until clean.
- For hard-to-reach areas, a cotton swab can get to those tight spaces.
Professional Window Treatments Cleaning Services
If you have not cleaned your shades in some time, a professional window treatment cleaning service can clean your shades using advanced techniques like ultrasonic cleaning. They will thoroughly clean your shades safely and remove all stains without damaging or deforming the cells. If you have any questions about cleaning your cellular shades, contact us right away to schedule a consultation.